Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2016

HOLDING IT TOGETHER

George’s life was held together by an unshakeable faith in God, unflinching moral integrity, an enduring work ethic and duct tape.

At his passing, he left a legacy of faith, integrity and hard work. He also left behind a lifetime supply of duct tape, with rolls strategically placed in closets and drawers throughout the house.

If any man loved duct tape more than George, I haven’t met him. If duct tape couldn’t solve a household problem, them maybe it couldn’t be solved. It travelled with him more frequently than I did, going on work trips and family vacations. It was fortunate that it did, particularly the summer we rented a 33 ft. RV.

With neither instruction nor prior experience, I drove the RV, and four children, to North Carolina where George met us for a weekend of whitewater rafting. I travelled fourteen hours without incident, protected by excessive caution and the pure terror of driving such a lengthy vehicle. Then George arrived, full of eager inexperience and ready to take command. Within hours he backed the RV into a car where the bumper tore off the entire back (top to bottom) of the rented RV.

Yes, George, with the help of his like-minded brother, duct taped the ragged pieces together so I could drive the kids and myself home while he flew back to work. And, in case you are wondering, no, the rental company did not return our $1000 deposit even though I worked extra hard to clean the inside, and we did bring back all the pieces nicely taped together.

After just five months of taking care of house and home by myself, I am beginning to appreciate his love affair with duct tape. Friday, as insulation batting fell on my head in the attic, I knew just what to do. Eight pieces of duct tape later, the problem is solved for the time being. Saturday, when the wind kept threatening to remove a long tablecloth at an outdoor party, duct tape came to the rescue again. I might just have to pick up an extra roll or two.


Thank you, George. Now I am sorry I laughed at you and duct tape. You were right; I was wrong. Please forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment