Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Yard Fairy's Bouquet

Flowers in vibrant colors are strategically planted so they put a smile on my face while I pour my morning coffee or wash an evening dish. Others are tucked away, subtly hidden so they greet a garden stroller by surprise and with delight. Although happy in the Southern sun, they are equally responsive to my beckoning scissors when the time comes for them to strut their stuff in incandescent light.

The orchestrator of this floral kaleidoscope calls herself a yard fairy. I call her my friend. While her efforts have provided countless centerpieces, today she brought me a bouquet of a different kind. She appeared in my office with the room-brightening gift of gratitude, telling me my recent blog posts have encouraged her to think more deeply about life and her relationship with God.

Her words could not have come at a better time. On Day 7 of this blogging marathon, I awoke to the thought that God knew what he was doing when he gave himself a day off after six days of creation. I have cast hundreds of words into the blogosphere for six days, and I am ready to simply survey my literary creations and declare them good.

The Yard Fairy
The simple knowledge that my wordy offerings are being collected in a friend’s heart, gives me a new perspective on this blogging exercise that began in answer to a daughter's challenge. I am reminded that gratitude and encouragement are priceless gifts.

In this month of giving thanks, take a few moments to tell the people in your life what they mean to you. Give them the gift of gratitude and encouragement. Your heartfelt words may brighten their day and give them the soul strength they need to keep on going, just like my yard fairy’s gift did for me.

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.  1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment